0400 Isn’t *Really* Morning

No – 0400 or 4am to reasonable folks isn’t *morning* – it’s an evil trick played by cadre members to get to spend more time with their sleepy, grumpy, and increasingly smellier charges.

Hi folks – it’s me and it’s kinda early here in beautiful (cough) Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Things have been pretty busy and as expected I’ve not had a moments respite until now – at 0-Dark-Thirty in the morning. My room-mate and I were lucky enough (cough again!) to pick up the 0400-0500 charge of quarters shift. For those that know what I’m talking about – quit laughing – for those that don’t. Well – suffice it to say – we’re awake and making sure that the building we’re in doesn’t wander off unexpectedly.

No WoW since Saturday. I think I’ll keep a log of exactly what point I start to get the shakes from not playing or something ;) Actually – it shouldn’t be that bad. We have no game quality access in our building (no wifi) – but there are a number of places to hook up and play over the weekends. I should be able to log on and spin the toons around for fun and profit.

Anyway – I promise a real WoW based post soon. Just expect the regularly scheduled programmer here on the site to be spiced (or spiked – hard to say) with a little bit of early morning Army drama from time to time.

Time to go stab myself in the eyes or something….

12 Responses to “0400 Isn’t *Really* Morning”

1. Gitr April 2, 2007 at 12:54 #

Hang in there, feller! No Wi-fi is enough to make most grown men with real substance cry, let alone, no WoW.

What is the punishment for the building wandering away (or worse, being taken hostage by tent-makers) in the middle of the night with 2 men guarding it?

2. Tomas April 2, 2007 at 20:44 #

It’s too scary to think about ;)

Thanks for dropping a line. Already scoping mobile broadband services I might be able to pick up. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

3. Lance(Astranon) April 3, 2007 at 03:12 #

Well guarding the Building is Legitimate, When I was in my training for my job they had us guarding the fire alarms.

4. Gitr April 3, 2007 at 05:30 #

I have heard great things about Sprint, but Verizon is also reliable if it’s available where you’ll be stationed for training. I have heard negatives about Cingular, but not the others, and I know my company gives users Sprint at naval and air bases.

5. Fluke April 4, 2007 at 11:34 #

Ft. Sill is a terrible place indeed. That’s where I detoxed from FFXI (before I moved on to WoW) for a month.

Whatever you do, dont go to the stripclub called Sidewinders. They got real midgets stripping, man. Effin midgets.

6. Fluke April 4, 2007 at 11:43 #

Ahh almost forgot!

When I was there for Combat Skills Training a little over a year ago, the BX/PX had computers hooked up to broadband and they already had WoW installed. All the Army dudes were on it all the time though. I used the wifi with my lappy which was like 6 bucks an hour or something, and ate Charlie’s cheesesteaks and played mah games all weekend =)

THEN I went to see midgets strip. Bad times.

7. Tomas April 4, 2007 at 17:30 #

Sidewinders – gottit – I’ll make a point to ask about it ;)

I saw the computer setup you were talking about in the PX. I saw that they were setup for gaming but wasn’t sure if WOW was installed or not.

Still – by the time we’re off of an evening – I’m usually wiped out. I’m headed home this weekend and will get a little game time in then.

My room-mate checked out the wifi and said that it’s down to like $4 a night or so. The *catch* is getting a seat near a power outlet.

Thanks for the heads up Fluke!

8. Psyae April 6, 2007 at 08:47 #

Back in my day, “gaming” was going to the activities building and playing Castle Wolfenstein on some of the oldest computers that could possibly play it. No internet or anything fancy like that.

Hey, at least you’re not camped out in a Foxhole, Tomas.

• Hafsa May 22, 2012 at 03:41 #

Potrebbe anche non essere atftfao male ma voglio aspettare qualche news in pi anche per la trama ed il game play. Comunque devo dire che mi sembra che qualcosa si stia muovendo.

• Mitha June 8, 2012 at 20:56 #

Dear Nadesan,I wish to know your opinion about the Jeneva desicion. I think this situation has increased the diffrences between tamil and Singalese. But most of Tamil (About 99.9%) in jaffna believe that America should send their nato force against Singala rulers and economic embargo etc ..Bharthipan

9. Tomas April 6, 2007 at 12:11 #

Not this week anyway :)

This week was mostly PT and inprocessing. Next week is combatives (hand to hand stuff) and more PT. After that – the fox-hole / Foward Operating Base stuff all starts up in earnest.

Home tonight though!

10. Cap'n John April 8, 2007 at 16:34 #

I just spent a week on a Cruise Ship with the wife and kids and no WoW, and no, we didn’t run aground somewhere in the Mediterranean or however that’s spelled :)

I used to open a Newsagency for the owner who really didn’t want to start work at 0400. I used to get up at 0300 to shower, shave and breakfast before work. The plus side, at 0900 the rest of the day was mine to enjoy :)